Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Translate

Saturday, December 10, 2011

CANCER FAILS TO SUBDUE TENACIOUS MAMTA MOHANDAS, ACTOR - AS SHE TALKS TO P ANIMA AND AS SHEVLIN SEBASTIAN WRITES ON HER INTENSE FIGHTBACK




The post is based on  two articles ‘SUNSHINE once again’ in The Hindu Metroplus Weekend from Thiruvananthapuram on 10.12.2011 and 'BIG BOSS of Malayalam Cinema' in The New Sunday Express Magazine  from Thiruvananthapuram on 25.11.2012. Quotes are from the articles.

Mamta Mohandas, successful Malayalam Cine Actor  speaks candidly on her battle with lymphoma. She was 26 when the diagnosis shattered her placid life. She admitted it was tough to pull herself together once she knew what had hit her. “ Initially, like anyone ranting about a so- called terminal disease, I felt, ‘Why me?’” Later, the way I battled it, I said to myself," Thank God, it was me.”

“The grueling days of treatment, radiation etc, are still a fresh memory.  If I am relapsing, I will be scared. I want to live happily. But when there is no other choice, one fights to survive.”

“When you go through a “Is this going to be it?” moment, you learn to enjoy everything – food, sunlight and each shot you give”

The actor moves on with tenacity. She looks forward to her wedding on 28.12.2011 with Prajith, a Bahrain based businessman.

Shevlin Sebastian writes on 25.11.2012.

There was a time when Mamta was screaming, but it was in shock and sadness. On June 21, 2010, she was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph nodes. Fortunately, for her, it was at stage 2B. "When I initially heard it, I cried and cried," she says, " I asked God, 'Why me?' Because I am an only child, my mother was going mad with sorrow."

Mamta grew up in Bahrain. She is feisty, intelligent and charming.

The good news for Mamta was when the doctors said the cancer was curable. She began chemotherapy at Apollo Speciality Hospital at Chennai and it lasted for seven months. "Today my cancer is not in complete remission," she says. So Mamta has to do check-ups often. But,at the same time, she has been having an intense film career. It was a scintillating performance in the Malayalam movie 'Katha Thudarunnu.' There are several others as well.

Her attitude has changed because of her cancer. "Life is precious," says Mamta. "It makes you realise that relationships, time, the air you breathe, the sun that you see in the morning, all things in nature, everything has to be deeply appreciated. The illness has ignited a hunger for life and to act my best."

Cancer is an ailment that stuns the patient and relatives alike. There is no escape. The afflicted undergoes  trauma with trepidation. It is despondency for any normal person. We have to admire Mamta Mohandas for her courage.

We wish her the very best in the life ahead. May the Almighty shower choicest blessings upon her. 

No comments: