Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Translate

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Babudom and plight of the common man - Lokpal or no Lokpal




The  experience with the municipal corporation of a City in Kerala is placed here  for  information . At the outset I wish to emphasise that this is not a complaint against anyone in particular, but to sensitize the reader  to the happenings in any  office  he may have to approach


I along with my son and daughter in law had called at the  coporation office on 24.07.2010 and  had submitted the application for the issue of a marriage certificate. Rs.120.00 was remitted as the fee. The receipt was issued by the official. At the time of submission of the application we had enquired when we should call at the office to obtain the certificate.The staff at the office advised us that the application was in order. We were told that we need not call at the office and the certificate would be sent to the address in the application through post. Though the marriage was conducted way back on 30.12.2004,we had applied for the certificate as we had read in the newspapers that official marriage certificate will be an absolute necessity in future.

Till june 2011 we awaited the certificate from the corporation. We did not make an enquiry because we were specifically told that there was no need to make enquiries.



Sometime in June 2011 I called at the office. After  enquiries at different seats I reached a cubicle where there was a queue. Someone had directed me there. When my turn came up I  handed in the receipt. I was told that the certificate was issued by a lady staff at the corner where there was a big crowd, each one pointing the receipt at the person to catch her attention like we find in crowded markets.

Though I pitied the plight of the poor lady I had to do as the others were doing because that was the only way to find a way out of my predicament. Finally she took the receipt from me , verified a number of registers and told me that the certificate had not yet reached her. She asked me to go in and contact the official.



I went in. Met the official. He asked me why I did not make an enquiry earlier. I replied that I had been told that there was no need for it. After verifying the computer and registers he told me that the certificate was not issued because there was an objection. He said the objection note had been sent by post to the address in the application. I replied that we have not yet received the objection note and if we had received it we would never have hesitated to enquire about it. When I asked what the objection was I was told that the application had not been signed by the applicants. I showed the copy I had with me where the applicants had signed at the space provided for it. However I was told that the applicants have to sign on the face or the front page where there was no indication or mark that required the signature of the applicants. I was told that the certificate would be issued only after  obtention of the signature on the front page. Knowing fully well the intricacies of the babudom I said I would bring the applicants and satisfy the requirement. It took a few weeks because the applicants had to be available to sign the application. Once the application was signed I was told that the certificate will be issued in ten days' time and I could come and collect it from the official himself.Since i was a bit busy I could go there only on  26.08.2011.  When I met the official he checked with the computer and advised that the certificate had been issued on 10.08.2011 and that  it was with the issuing staff at the corner. As it had been the earlier time the poor lady was going through a harrowing phase. She checked the registers and told me that it had been sent to our address on 11.08.2011 itself. To my reply that we were yet to receive the certificate I was told that the certificates were sent by post when  the application was accompanied by a stamped self addressed envelope and it had not yet been returned unaccepted. I replied that we had not submitted any such envelope.  She checked the files. She confirmed that it was in her custodt. She handed over the certificate and asked me to sign an acknowledgement in a register.
I know this is a bit lengthy. But I wanted every one  to know what is happening in  the offices that had been set up to serve us.   Certain simple steps may obviate the difficulties of the public.

1. If the signature is needed on the face which I feel is unncessary, make that transparent by indicating it or keeping a slot there.

2. Please ask for the contact phone number through which the applicant can be intimated and the response and disposal time will be quick

3. If an objection is intimated please ensure that it is really intimated.A registered letter will serve the purpose better than an ordinary letter.

4. Let there be a scrutiny when the applications are accepted. The scrutiny shall never be casual or perfunctory.



1 comment:

Tara said...

A sincere effort but I doubt its chance of being an eye-opener .. Who will take the lead and who will risk to follow ? Its rotten already !!

The poor man will raise his voice unheard which will never end ..