I put that there because I have lived through floods countless times.
I am from Thalavady, Kuttanad.
Our house has one and a half feet of water inside.
The resilience of people there is incredible
Pat came the query:
What about now?
The response was quick
I have not gone there. But I have close relatives there.
They told me flood waters that entered their house hadn't receded.
While the main road has been raised the lanes are lower. It means you'll have to wade through flooded lanes. You'll have to be careful. You don't know where you'll put your foot next. You can slip.
One big advantage is, (in the old days) the whole landscape would be one sheet of water. You can take a country boat and travel quickly as the barriers would be non existent for a while.
The administration since independence hasn't done what is really needed. They'll go to Holland. They won't do anything to replicate Holland here.
It was wonderful in 2018. They opened the shutters of all the dams at one go.
Then they kept the shutters of Thottappalli Barrage and Thannermukkam Bund closed. Guess what happened.
This time it would have been worse
But they kept the shutters open.
Else it would have been tragic.
The simple question is, should such a beautiful place be ruined because of administrative inefficiency or incapability.
And the landslides in the High Ranges
I grew up in Munnar.
You can see my exposure is a bit more than many
He agrees:
Yea


No comments:
Post a Comment