As I had been busy for almost a week I could begin anew from Folio 18 only yesterday. Each page memerised me. I went on uninterrupted. At last I reached the conclusion at Folio 122. There was pathos. There was ethos. One could see the sharp build up of emotions that swayed you.
The author, Rosy Philip, has done a great job of picturising the Syrian Christian family of the 1950-1990 era. But she has not confined it to one community alone. Through Vinayan she has thrown open what happens in another community as well. Though human beings have good traits, she shows us the other side of the coin as well.
It's a good read where you can't put it down without finishing it.
The story is indeed touching. It relates to what happened in several households around us in the 1950s to 1990s.
Male chauvinism is explicit. Women have no identity whatsoever even if they are employed and earn a decent income. They are mere playthings for the opposite gender.
The translation is excellent. It doesn't look like a translation at all. It seemed it was the original itself. Chandrika has done a wonderful job. She weaves the story through incidents that look real.The sentences are crisp. The language employed is stylish. The description of nature leaves us in rapture. The rains, the mist, the moss and the mildew - we feel we are directly confronting them. The view of the Elenjical House in its splendour and its lost glory stuns us. The diction is rich. I could learn a few words from the novel.
Vinayan, Zachariah, Sr Nirmala -Nimmy, Ranjit, Mariachechi, Annammachedathi, Ranjit, Mother-Auntie, Mother-Stern, Fr.David, Babychayan, Jameskutty, Aby and Mili - it's a long list of characters who play their part well. They are embedded in our mind.
Sara and her mother in law are a pair we can't ever forget.
Ammachi's words echoes in Sara's mind forever.
"Don't let him beat you even once. I was not able to stop father. Once started, it will continue."
Sara finds to her horror, the contemptible man hurts a female body only when his senses are overpowered by liquor. He befriends liquor not only to harm, but even to enjoy a female body.
..........................
John Kurien, former CGM, NABARD critiques
Having read two vivid anecdotes of yours, after going through "Muppidicharadu," I was transported to the realm of having read the novel itself .
Hats off for the review or let me say factual appreciation of the arduous task of a translation which you have considered as equal to the original.


1 comment:
Thank you Sir for your valuable time and words of appreciation..........
Post a Comment