Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Translate

Saturday, October 10, 2026

OLE, OLE, OLE, OLE, MESSI, MESSI

 After the final whistle. Messi's eyes glistened  as his teammates gathered around him, applauding. 

A rumbling chorus of "Ole, ole, ole, ole, Messi, Messi" rose from the stands as tens of thousands of fans jumped as if in worship. 

A barrier at midfield proclaimed him "Eternal Captain."

The Argentine soccer federation turned Tuesday's (6th October  2026) game - Messi's 208th - into a farewell billed as "the last tango." Players from 1978, 1986, and 2022 World Cup winning squads returned to see him off. 

"It feels like an era ending, knowing he won't play for the national team anymore," said Valentino Ruso as headed to watch the game on TV.

What was otherwise an unremarkable friendly against the West African nation, Benin, became a moment, the soccer crazy country had long dreaded. 

When 39 year old Messi bid farewell to international soccer after 21 years, 126 goals, two Copa America titles and a World Cup Championship, scoring a penalty and setting up  Argentina's other two goals for a 3-0 victory over Benin,  Argentina was facing a once unimaginable reality - a national team without soccer great Lionel Messi.

After the match, Messi spoke to the crowd.

"There are a lot of emotions, a lot of things going through my head. The first thing I think about is my old man," bringing alive the memory of his dear father who recently passed away.

He continued. 

"The truth is, I'm talking more than I ever have. I don't want to leave here. I don't want to leave this field."

"It was a huge source of pride for me to wear this shirt all this time, for more than 20 years. Not coming anymore is going to hurt a lot. I swear, I'd love to keep coming my whole life, because playing for Argentina is the most beautiful thing that can happen to you."

When Messi won the third World Cup title for Argentina, it was a moment to cherish.

On Tuesday night in Buenos Aires, there was another one to remember. It was arguably one of the greatest and most emotional farewells in football history.

Neymar puts it succinctly.

"It's not just Argentina that thanks you, the world thanks you for everything you did for football. Thank you for making me love football even more. It was an honour to have played against you and even more so to make history by your side."

The Times of India, 8th October 2026

"This is going to hurt a lot - Both Messi and Argentina Left Confronting The Inevitable As Day Arrives When They Must P0art"

No comments: