Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Translate

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

BEN SHELTON - YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE UNLIMITED TIME ON THE SECOND SERVE

 Prajwal Hegde reports from New York City for The Times of India (15.09.2026)- U S Open 2026 - Final

When Alexander Zverev prepares to serve, he bounces the ball and bounces it.. Sometimes 20 or 25 times.

At the other end of the court, his opponent waits and waits.

Ben Shelton wanted to stay loose, while Zverev went through his routine, rather than settling into his return position. He said,"There is not an athlete in the world who would like to watch them do their thing and sit in a ready position-30 seconds before play starts."

"So for me it's the same. I'm not going to sit there with my knees bent,. tension in my body for thirty seconds while I'm waiting."

"I'm going to try to stay loose."

When Shelton took it up with the umpire, he was advised that he had to be at the base line early.

He commented,"That is a stupid rule that you got to be sitting there when the guy goes through his routine."

"I shouldn't have to sit at the line."

"He can start his routine whenever he wants."

"I promise you there will never be a time when he serves and I'm not ready."

"I definitely think, for a first serve, you should be able to do whatever you want. You can use the full 25 seconds every time."

As regards the second serve, he suggested that the time allowed should be curtailed, "There should be some sort of a rule. I'm not sure exactly how you would do it, limiting time on the second serve."

Shelton reiterated, "You shouldn't have unlimited time on the second serve."

Alexander Zverev won the match in four sets.


No comments: