SEEMA KALIRAMNA WINS BRONZE - DISCUS THROW - COMMONWEALTH GAMES 2026 GLASGOW
Seema Kaliramna narrates how she took to athletics:
"I was not interested in sports. But my PT teachers used to ask me to get the discus from the store room. One day I just threw the discus and it fell at a good distance. When my PT teacher saw that, he asked me to start training in discus throw."
"But my actual interest grew when I started getting water bottles, slippers and chocolates as awards for my wins at the school level meets."
And see where it landed her.
The Haryana discus thrower,27, mother of a four year old, pursuing PhD in Physical Education, hailing from Bhiwani, threw the discus at Glasgow in the 2026 Commonwealth games to the Bronze Medal, reaching 58.65m in her third attempt. It was a great effort especially when the Gold and the Silver went to throws of 61.66m and 60.67m respectively.
When queried how she felt, she said,"It is such a good feeling. I feel all the hardships that we had gone through as a family in the last few years have been compensated with the gift in the form of a medal."
As she stated, it was 'Gifts' that had made her stick on to athletics.
Her parents had extended special treatment to her when she started winning medals while at school. She confides,"We are three siblings and because I started competing, my mother began making me milkshakes and my father made sure we never ran out oranges and other fruits."
However, her parents married her off six years after she had picked up the discus, ignoring that she had been progressing well through various levels in the sport.
But her husband had different ideas.
"Though I was married, the training didn't stop. My husband took me to the ground the next after our wedding."
An year after getting married, just before the Covid lockdown began, Seema suffered a knee injury..
"The doctors said I needed surgery, but we wanted some rest. And while we took the break,we thought of utilising the time by planning our baby."
Seema Kaliramna is all praise for her husband who has been helping her with the training.
"He is my physio, my coach, my masseur along with being my husband."
Seema has just begun.
She can go a long way.
Based on report in the Times of India of 1 August 2026


No comments:
Post a Comment